New York City Historic Houses of Worship
Religious Institution Current Name: Jackson Heights Seventh Day Adventist Church and School
Religious Institution Historic Name: Jackson Heights Jewish Center
Original Denomination: Jewish
Current Denomination: 7th Day Adventist
Street Address: 72-25 Woodside Avenue
Block: 1312 Lot: 55
Date Congregation Established: 1920
Date Construction Initiated: 1935
Date Site Dedicated/Opened for Worship: [highlight and type here]
Date Surveyed: 2008
Style: Not Specified
History: Jackson Heights Jewish Center was formed in 1920, chartered as Adath Israel Congregation,and was incorporated as the Jewish Center of Jackson Heights in 1925. It was located at this address until 1959. They then relocated to 34-25 82nd Street (1959-1997), then to 87-15 37th Avenue (1997), and finally to 37-06 77th Street (2002-) (Jeff Gottleib research; Steve Knobel, congregation president of current JHJC lectures on history of shul (C:(516) 398-8200 – per Susie Tanenbaum in Queens Borough President’s Office).
Exterior Materials: Brick
Trim Materials: Cast Stone and Wrought Iron
Roof: Hipped with asphalt Roof Materials:
Foundation Materials: Brick
Outbuildings: A school is associated and in the same building as the church.
Major Alterations: A large recently-added or extended cantilevered roof extends out over the entrance. The windows on the first and fourth floors have all been replaced. Choir pews cover the bimah and ark. There is new stained-glass window at the front of the sanctuary.
Jackson Heights Seventh Day Adventist Church and School
72-25 Woodside Ave