New York City Historic Houses of Worship

Congregation Kneseth Israel / Congregation Talmud Torah

Religious Institution Current Name:  Congregation Kneseth Israel / Congregation Talmud Torah

Religious Institution Historic Name:   Congregation Kneseth Israel / Congregation Talmud Torah

Original Denomination:   Jewish

Current Denomination:   Jewish

Street Address:   728 Empire Avenue

Block:    15512                         Lot:   34

Neighborhood:    Far Rockaway

County:    Queens

Landmark Status:   

District Status:    

Date Congregation Established:   1908

Date Construction Initiated: 1963

Date Site Dedicated/Opened for Worship: [highlight and type here]

Date Surveyed: 2008

Architect:    Kelly and Gruzen Architects and Redhill Construction Corporation

Style:   Modern

History: According to congregant Rabbi Schwartz, Congregation Kneseth Israel is an eighty year old community. The original building was located on Nameok Street and was white, hence the appellation the “White Shul.” Rabbi Schwartz also mentioned that in 1963, the synagogue was moved to current location on Empire Avenue. The structure was built by Kelly and Gruzen Architects and Redhill Construction Corporation was the contractor (New York Times, December 5, 1965, “20 Queens Buildings Will Get Chamber of Commerce Awards”; notes written by Norman Wax, an unidentified individual, also mention Kelly and Gruzen). In 1965, the synagogue received one of twenty Queens Chamber of Commerce awards for “excellence in design and civic value.” 1965 was the thirty-ninth year of the annual Building Awards Competition.

Exterior Materials:   

Trim Materials:   N/A

Roof:   Circular roof                                       Roof Materials:   

Foundation Materials:    

Outbuildings: The Kneseth Israel synagogue is comprised of a large building complex containing a sanctuary, a banquet hall, and inimal office space. The abovementioned 1965 article describing the building mentions that there are also classrooms. The areal photo sugges

Major Alterations: A 1969 plaque notes that the building underwent some redesign and refurbishment.  Rabbi Schwartz mentioned hat in 1989, the building was extended.

CONGREGATION KNESETH ISRAEL / CONGREGATION TALMUD TORAH

728 Empire Ave
Far Rockaway, NY

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This